Grand Prix Racing - 1930-1939 A golden era of motor racing
This week, Minichamps has announced that it be replicating the Auto Union D-Type that was driven to victory at the 1938 British Grand Prix by Tazio Nuvolari. This announcement soon had us hunting from an image, which took us back to time in motor racing’s history that put us in another one of our ‘memory-lane’ moods!
So, we have put together a selection of images from 1930-1939, before the dizzy, money-spinning world of F1 was created. A time when beautiful but brutal cars were driven by men to whom safety was a swear word! We hope you enjoy this small selection, and feel free to leave your comments underneath.
Click here to order Tazio Nuvolari’s 1938 British Grand Prix winning Auto Union.
- 1930 Irish Grand Prix - Photographic details unknown.
- 1931 French Grand Prix. Montlhery, France. 21 June 1931. Cars form on the grid, left-to-right: Enzo Grimaldi/Borgait, Bugatti T35C, Louis Chiron/Achille Varzi, Bugatti T51, Earl Howe/Brian Lewis, Bugatti T51, and Robert Senechal, Delage 15S8. Chiron/Varzi finished in 1st position. World Copyright: Robert Fellowes/LAT Photographic Ref: 31FRA01
- 1932 French Grand Prix. Reims, France. 3 July 1932. Philippe Etancelin (Alfa Romeo 8C-2300). World Copyright: LAT Photographic Ref-MotorSport neg
- Monte Carlo. 3 April 1933. Achille Varzi (Bugatti T51) and Baconin Borzacchini (Scuderia Ferrari Alfa Romeo 8C-2300 "Monza") at the start. They finished in 1st and 2nd positions respectively. Published-Autocar 28/4/1933 p700. World Copyright - LAT Photographic
- 1934 German Grand Prix. Nurburgring, Germany. 15 July 1934. Hans Stuck, Auto Union A, 1st position, pitstop. Team Manager Willy Walb supervises on the right, action. World Copyright: Robert Fellowes/LAT Photographic Ref: 34GER01
- Pescara, Italy. 15 August 1935. Achille Varzi (Auto Union B-typ) leads Louis Chiron (Alfa Romeo Tipo-B P3). They finished in 1st and 6th positions respectively. Published-Autocar 23/8/1935 p343. Ref-S85/197. World Copyright - LAT Photographic
- Sempione Park, Milan, Itlay. 28th June 1936. Tazio Nuvolari (Alfa-Romeo 12C-36), 1st position leads Achille Varzi (Auto Union C), 2nd position, Antonio Brivio (Alfa-Romeo 8C-35), 4th position and Giuseppe Farina (Alfa-Romeo 12C-36), 3rd position, action. World Copyright: LAT Photographic. Ref: B/W Print.
- 1937 Donington Grand Prix. Donington Park, Great Britain. 2 October 1937. Hermann Muller (Auto Union C-typ), 4th position, with all wheels off the ground. World - LAT Photographic
- 1938 Italian Grand Prix. Monza, Italy. 11 September 1938. Tazio Nuvolari, Auto Union D, 1st position, action. World Copyright: Robert Fellowes/LAT Photographic Ref: 38ITA06
- 1939 Swiss Grand Prix. Bremgarten, Berne, Switzerland. 20 August 1939. Hermann Lang, Mercedes-Benz W163, 1st position, action. World Copyright: Robert Fellowes/LAT Photographic Ref: 39SUI01